Lets Talk About Uni - Living at Home vs Living in Halls


With UCAS submission dates right around the corner I thought this would be a perfect time blog about my experience with living at home for university. For anybody wondering, I am studying International Fashion Promotion at MMU and I made my decision to live at home the weekend before I was due to move into halls.

I have always been very much a home-bird kinda gal and the thought of moving away from everything I've ever known didn't seem an amazing prospect for me. In the end I did what was best for me and decided to commute to uni and cancel my student accommodation.

I know so many people struggle to make the decision to live in halls because they're worried about making friends, however you have to remember that everyone is in the same boat and people are going to uni with the intention of making friends. I know so many people who love their flatmates and have made so many friends through living in halls.

If you live away from uni then making friends is harder, it's inevitable. However it can be done, it just takes a little longer and if all else fails then you still have your friends at home. One reason why I love living at home is because I feel as though living at university is almost like living in a bubble; You live there, you study there, you have your friends there. However I study there, and have friends there yet I come home everyday and escape the 'uni bubble', almost as though I'm going back to my actual life. I enjoy having my life outside of university and I don't regret living at home at all.

However of course with anything in life you do have a couple of negatives, as nothing can ever be perfect. Living at home does limit you slightly when it comes to going out, student trips and getting to those 9am lectures on time. I'm fortunate that a friend at uni has let me stay at her flat after a night out and luckily for me those 9am starts aren't too hard to get to, it just means that you get better at time management which isn't a bad thing. I get on the 7:30am train everyday in order to get to uni on time whereas if I lived in Manchester I would be able to roll out of bed at half 8 and easily get to my lecture on time. Living at home means you have to compromise those lie ins (oh how I hate early mornings...).

I've been at university for around 6 weeks now and I've accepted that living at home and travelling means that things are slightly harder, but if you still want the benefits of living at home then not living at university is ok. A couple of my friends also commute to uni, so there's always others to moan about the early starts and boring train journeys with ...

I hope this post was somewhat helpful if you're applying to university this year, or even if you're living in halls and hating it. Travelling to uni is way more common than you think, and the benefits of staying at home definitely outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Let me know if you'd like to see a post all about my degree and how I've found the first couple of weeks at uni as I'd definitely write one if people were interested. Also if you travel to uni or live in halls then let me know what influenced your decision, as I'd love to know!

Until next time,
Nicole x

(PS- if you read this whole post then you deserve a medal)

CONVERSATION

12 comments:

  1. Interesting read! I lived at home for uni and very much felt like I was missing out on the experience! xx

    moorizZLA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried that I would feel that way as well but so far I have been totally embracing living at home :) x

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved living in halls! Had such a great time.

    Patricia / Patricia Stelmach

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cool read - thanks for sharing

    xoxo
    tessa
    www.travelwheretonext.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an interesting post. I loved living in halls so much but it's interesting to see both sides.

    Shakira x

    www.shakirasacks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure both ways have their ups and downs. Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope your enjoying your time at the Uni, such exciting years :)

    Ivona from www.thesmokedetector.net
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uni seems to be going well right now, thank you! :) x

      Delete
  6. Wonderful and perfect! I follow you blog, please follow me too. http://alamodenatine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always interesting to hear what people opt for when it comes to commuting - and that goes for both studying and working! Like you, I've found I'm also happiest when at home, and then wherever you're going is like a 'bubble', as you've said :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live at home with my fiance, and commute to uni (30min drive). I would definitely prefer the home comforts and food living at home! x
    A Blushing Beauty Blog x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice post. There are definitely pros and cons to both. When you live at home you can save a lot of money, you can have help from your parents regarding cooking, cleaning around etc.. but you can also have limited freedom.
    Living on campus is a complete different experience. You have to learn how to budget and be very responsible since you won't have the extra help for cooking cleaning and others. You also have to not let yourself get easily influenced and go out so much that you forget to work. I experienced both and I think I learned a lot about myself and others from being away from home.
    Good luck with everything at uni dear. Thank you for sharing :)
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss ♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would prefer leaving on campus that going to school from home... lovely post dear quite informative.
    would you like to follow on GFC, let me know on my blog and i will follow back asap

    Glowyshoes's blog

    My Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top